-
March 21st, 2007, 10:54 PM
#1
Senior Hostboard Member
If they are not furniture cabinet.The one thing that will give these cabinets their prestige
is a foam grill. You can make all the 6 cubic ft cabinet until your heart's content. But only Foam grills will add + value to your boxes.
http://www.lansingheritage.org/image...home/page4.jpg
.................................
-
March 26th, 2007, 01:33 AM
#2
Inactive Member
Although I do like the way the foam grills look I will have to go on record and say their disadvantages far outweigh their advantages in the long run.
Very few speakers of that day that came with foam still look good today if the foam has not been replaced at substantial cost.
I found it is very easy to blemish, traps dirt, dust and smoke and generally does not withstand the test of time except in sterile environments.
A DIYer with basic skills could easily replace the fabric on most grills ten times at less than the cost of one replacment set of foam grills.
I do see a few Cottage Industries poping up to make the replacments and they are quite nice looking but extreamly expensive in relation to replacing fabric.
Gary
-
March 26th, 2007, 01:48 AM
#3
Senior Hostboard Member
When I made my Altecs I just made a grille frame from hardboard from the local hardware store. Reinforced it with some screen door material, spray painted the screen door material black, and applied the grille clothe from the local Radio Shack on top of that. That was 20+ years ago, no problem. Personally, I would rather listen to my speaker than to do more repairs etc to them. I have a pair of Acoustic Research AR2AXs, the woofer surrounds on both woofers are shot, but the grille clothe is still in decent condition.
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules
This forum has been viewed: 28131802 times.
Bookmarks